Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Doctor Is In

I read a lot of magazines. Its not always time well spent. Yesterday I came across "Rowing News". It's been 6 years since I rowed reguarly, but the cover mentioned a story: "East Germany's Rowing Legacy." I liked the stories attempt to provide balanced coverage of the period "East Germany" dominated world rowing. Drug problems were real, but so was an approach to training that works in every sport. That approach was not invented in the GDR, but that was one of the places it was refined.
There was much more in "Rowing News" -- the best coverage of training, health, and technique I've seen in any of the sports-oriented publications. "Outside", eat your heart out. "Runners World", pack it in. Except for the tidily-winks players, everyone should read the article on "Balance and Stability Training."