Monday, August 08, 2005

Hiroshima & Forward Bends [Yin Notes[

This week I was amazed at how tight I've become over the last few days. I was more active than usual this weekend, but still I'm surprised. There is some good news. I've been experimenting with my hamstrings and tonight I tried a variation of, I think, Upavistha Konasana (Wide-Angle Seated Forward Bend).
I started from a position like the one in the photo, except I was on a thin bolster & had two thick bolsters between my legs. Then I moved into a forward bend over first the right, then the left, so it was a a twist, and since it was a Yin class held for about 5 minutes for each leg.

Both my hips and my hams got a deeper stretch than I normally get and by the end of the session I was almost back to where I'd been a week ago.

The instructor dedicated the class to the memory of Hiroshima.